Advertisement

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours ~ LEGEND VS. GIGANTIC BITE ~ THE FINAL BATTLE! [Suriaha w| Defaults]

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours ~ LEGEND VS. GIGANTIC BITE ~ THE FINAL BATTLE! [Suriaha w| Defaults] The final, normal* mission of the massive campaign mode of Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours. Here I take the Legend ship, with all defaults, to take on the game's most fearsome guardian, the legendary Gigantic Bite! A battle to the death ensues, and who will come out on top?


Boss timestamps:
1:09 - Hyper Jaw
3:40 - Lightning Flamberge
6:44 - Phantom Castle
10:04 - Golden Ruler
16:38 - Azure Nightmare
23:09 - Gigantic Bite
30:20 - Ending



Ten years ago today, the first of the Dariusburst series was released on the PSP. From there, the game enjoyed many tweaks, re-releases, and remakes. The base game was adjusted into the excellent Another Chronicles EX arcade release, and this served as the basis for the PC/PS4 release of Chronicle Saviours in 2015, which contained new bosses and the CS campaign mode. It's fitting for me, on this momentous anniversary, to share with you a run of the game's final challenge. I've been waiting to find and fight Gigantic Bite ever since the PC release, so this is a rather cathartic moment given the anniversary. This game is truly great and a feast for shmup fans and Darius lovers. This one is worth playing!


This run, despite being a personal best of my attempts, contains numerous embarrassing and sloppy mistakes. After 8 or 9 tries I was out of gas and my many stupid hits and shield losses attest to this. The timing for burst-countering is still not exact for me, and many times I lose crucial shields due to messing up the moment to burst while moving into the enemy laser. Other runs I have been able to burst-kill all of the bosses, sans Bite, but some of the quirks of the enemy AI and attack choice (partially random?) threw me off my game. I will admit towards the end of this run, going into the final stage with so few shields, I thought about quitting and restarting. But well, I stuck it out.



The scoring could have easily improved by being more aggressive with burst-killing enemy waves, but in many places I opted for safety vs. scoring potential. The main of this is that Gigantic Bite, in the lineage of shmup TLB (true last bosses), is a huge, 7-minute battle of attrition, meaning that the entire run you need to be carefully managing your finite shields to be able to tank and survive his onslaught. I will say that this is the fewest amount of shields I've managed to fight (and win) with against Bite.



There is a practice zone, Bedon, that lets you mano-e-mano Bite with 30 shields and full power - use this to learn his patterns. However, he has less HP in Bedon, so much that you will not meet those dreaded time-out cubes (as I do towards the end), which have ended several attempts by ramming into me and taking my remaining lives.



*Note: there is a secret, hidden 'bonus' mission, code-named Kyukkuho, that is unlocked only after completing every campaign map in CS mode. This is a bit of a hassle, to say the least, so I don't expect to have that one done any time soon.

dariusburst chronicle saviours gigantic bite,dariusburst chronicle saviours suriaha,dariusburst gigantic bite,dariusburst suriaha 1cc,dariusburst suriaha legend default,dariusburst 1cc default ship,dariusburst 10th anniversary,dariusburst steam gameplay,dariusburst cs mode gigantic bite,hardest boss ever,dariusburst azure nightmare,taito,darius series shmup,g-darius,darius gaiden,sagaia,shohei tsuchiya,hisayoshi ogura,photosynthesis suite,zuntata,

Post a Comment

0 Comments