Advertisement

Virtually Cross Borders

Virtually Cross Borders The current political climate between the United States and many countries, including my home country of Iran, has adversely affected many families, including my own. With a travel ban vigorously enforced it has been impossible for my family to visit me in the U.S. This fact was unpleasant, but, became emotionally unbearable as I prepared for the birth of my first child, and the first grandchild for my parents. I desperately wanted them to be part of my pregnancy and present for the birth of my son. The stress and sadness caused me to be depressed and have physical symptoms that could cause harm to my unborn child. I constantly struggled to maintain an upbeat attitude for my child and rise above the depressed mood.

This whole experience motivated me to do this art piece. Hence, this piece will portray my emotional pain and loneliness during my pregnancy, as well as, how technology greatly helped me to deal with my emotional agony. I decided to create an Augmented Reality piece in which myself or my family can be added to each other’s worlds. By using a tablet, visitors of the exhibition will see how my hologram baby and myself are able to visit my family, and vice versa. Without the tablet they are only able to see the actual me and my baby sitting in front of the laptop while Skyping my family.

Future technology may give us the power to be together in any situation, creating emotions that feel real and tangible.

Borders

Post a Comment

0 Comments